Celebrating 100 years in business, The Big Store has become a legacy in Tifton and South Georgia.
The Perlis’ original store was in Cordele, Georgia, started by Phil’s great-grandfather. In 1910, the family bought The Big Store which started as a low-end general store. Managed by Candler Bryn for decades until the store burned down in 1955 and closed to rebuild and remodel. Marvin Perlis came down from Cordele to help the new store reopen. Shortly after, Bryan retired and Marvin stayed in Tifton to run the business. Marvin soon married Lynette Hankin, from Dublin, Georgia and together they upgraded the store to evolve into what it is today. Over 50 years in the store together, along with Mikie Wolff as manager and a very loyal staff, the business has thrived despite some hard economic times.
In 1982 Phil Perlis returned to Tifton to join the business. In 1983 he married Susan Guld from Raleigh, N.C. and together they all worked in the store. In 1990, Mikie Wolff retired after 50 years as a legacy of his own in Tifton.
Now, four generations and 100 years later, The Big Store has remained an integral part of Tifton’s history. Always offering current styles and fashions, but most of all, a friendly staff and excellent customer service.